Loosen soil to make harvesting easier!
For carrots, parsnips, garlic, potatoes...
[Formerly Huckins Forge Bed lifter/Undercutter bar.]
Image is shown with optional weight box and stand.
Weight Package Information
Why use the weight package?
- Faster sinking at the beginning of a row
- Quicker depth correction in case of rise over rocks.
How much weight is added?
- Weight box is ~120 lbs of steel.
- The blocks that go in the weight box are 16x8x4 concrete building blocks available at building supply stores. They weigh ~32lbs each.
Considerations and Recommendations
- The weight package is not needed if the tractor has a hold down feature on the 3-point hitch.
- The recommended added weight is 100 lbs per foot of blade width. The added weight is 120 lbs for the weight box plus the weight of blocks added.
- The bed lifter needs about 10HP of tractor for every foot of blade width depending on soil conditions.
- Shipping will cost more on this item. Bed lifters need to be shipped by truck so the shipping will be quoted after the order. The order may be canceled if shipping is too high.
- Alternatively, it may be picked up at our Vermont Factory
Bed Lifter Testimonials
The bed lifter worked fantastic for us. We not only used it in the carrots, but in the parsnips and sweet potatoes as well . . . . . We had some parsnips that were probably 18 inches and we didn't have any issues with the undercutter damaging the root. The cutter also allowed us to harvest and get our sweet potatoes put into storage in record time. Never have we flown through the sweet potatoes like that... Thanks for the great product! -LF
The bed lifter has become an essential tool on my farm. It has greatly increased the speed of harvest on our carrot, parsnip, leek, celeriac and sweet potato crops. The. bed lifter is easy to attach and use, and is designed to undercut the soil at whatever depth is needed. I highly recommend it! -GA
I loved using the bed lifter you made. Having never used one before, I was amazed at how rapidly we could harvest root crops. I found it quite easy to set up and adjust as well. Overall, I could not be more pleased with the tool. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. Simple, rugged, and very easy to use. I cannot imagine growing roots in any quantity without it. -EB
The bed lifter is a solidly built implement. We use it primarily for carrots, garlic, and parsnips. It makes harvesting these crops much more efficient than using garden forks. -ZP